PACKING TIPS FOR A SMOOTH MOVE
November 13th, 2019
Moving is a stressful ordeal and often involves storing your possessions for a period of time. Even if you’re not storing your valuables these tips will make moving a little easier, a lot more organized and less stressful.
1. Plan ahead! Don’t wait until the last minute to pack. Start early and pack one box a day in each room. This will help you stay organized and give you plenty of time to label and color code boxes.
2. As you prepare your house for the market, box up unused and unnecessary items like knick knacks and clutter from counters and surfaces. Store your boxes and unnecessary furniture in a secure storage unit. This will help make your home show-ready and feel open, increasing the chance of selling quickly, for more money.
3. Announce your move and share your new address with a card to your friends and family.
4. Make a map of rooms and layout where furniture and boxes go. Keep this with your color code sheet and use it to guide and reduce stress on moving day.
5. Take picture of connections on computers, TVs and wifi routers to guide you as you reconnect in your new home.
6. Don’t pay to move or store what you don’t need. Have a yard sale to de-clutter. Put the proceeds toward storing what you do need.
7. Use small boxes for heavy items like books and big boxes for light bulky items like blankets.
8. Designate an area (i.e. room, closet or out-of-the-way wall) to store boxes as you pack. As boxes are filled, put heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
9. Write the room or location of each box on the sides not the top. Now you know what is in the box without unstacking them. A list of contents will help account for everything and reduce time searching for items.
10. Color coordinate moving boxes by room or contents with color dots.
11. Label small furniture to help movers put it in the right place in your new home.
12. Put Styrofoam plates between your glass and/or ceramic plates when you pack to keep them safe and reduce the risk of breakage.
13. Cover rake teeth, blades and other dangerous tools with pool noodles. This will keep you, your movers and whatever they contact safe and undamaged.
14. Reinforce mirrors, large pictures and glass with strips of painters tape. Make an “X” across the glass from corner to corner to add strength and reduce movement that can cause breaks and chips.
15. Empty the fluids from your lawnmower, weed trimmer, etc. This will make them lighter to transport, safer to store and cleaner.
16. Pack glasses in clean socks. You won’t have to wash your glasses before use.
One Last Tip
Put a open box of baking soda in the refrigerator and freezer as you leave. You will probably never meet the people moving into your home so this good impression is pure charity.
At Granite Mountain Storage, we are dedicated to helping you have the best moving experience possible. Our friendly, expert staff can help you find the right storage solution for your needs and offer useful tips and help throughout the process.
NEWS AND TIPS